Knee injections are a viable treatment option for many people with uncomfortable conditions like osteoarthritis, sprains, and bursitis. For some, knee injection therapy may delay or even eliminate the need for surgery down the road. If you’re considering knee injections, you may be wondering…do they hurt?
The answer to this question will depend on the type of knee injection you receive, as well as the size of the needle and where specifically it is injected. Generally, most people view corticosteroid injections that are injected into a small joint space to be the most uncomfortable, although the relief provided by these injections tends to far outweigh any temporary injection site pain. Other types of knee injections may cause mild tenderness around the joint that lingers for a few days. Ultimately, the pain associated with knee injections is considered to be manageable and well worth it in the long run.
If you experience any pain following a knee injection, consider:
- Placing an ice pack on your knee to help reduce inflammation and numb pain
- Taking an over-the-counter pain reliever
- Resting as much as possible and avoiding any strenuous activities until your pain improves
Types of Knee Injections
There are several types of knee injections that can be used to help improve joint function and reduce pain and stiffness. The most common include:
- Corticosteroid injections – An injection that can relieve osteoarthritis pain for a few months at a time
- Platelet rich plasma (PRP) injections – A form of regenerative medicine that uses the patient’s own blood cells to promote healing within the joint
- Hyaluronic acid injections (also referred to as gel shots and viscosupplementation) – A lubricating, naturally occurring fluids is injected into the knee joint to improve mobility
Knee Injections at Tampa Orthopaedic & Sports Medicine
Tampa Orthopaedic & Sports Medicine Group provides world-class treatment to patients with all types of knee conditions. A division of Florida Medical Clinic and the longest-running orthopedic practice in the Tampa area, we can be your first choice for knee pain treatment. Our center is led by Dr. Daniel Murphy and Dr. Arnold Ramirez—two board-certified specialists who cater to adolescents, adults, and seniors with a variety of musculoskeletal issues. They also put their renowned medical expertise to work while serving on the medical staffs of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the New York Yankees.
Knee injections are among our treatment options at Tampa Orthopaedic & Sports Medicine Group. We offer corticosteroid and hyaluronic acid injections as well regenerative medicine options like PRP therapy and stem cell injections. As our patient, you will receive a personalized treatment plan that will be tailored to your individual needs and care preferences.
To learn if you are a candidate for knee injections, we encourage you to contact Tampa Orthopaedic & Sports Medicine Group today. One of our professionals will be happy to schedule you an appointment, or you may reserve one online when it’s convenient for you.