Platelet rich plasma therapy, which is one of the many non-surgical treatments offered at Tampa Orthopaedic and Sports Medicine Group, encourages and speeds the body’s own natural healing mechanism. By injecting the injured ligament or tendon with blood plasma that has a high concentration of platelets, the damaged soft tissues are receiving the bioactive growth proteins that they need to regenerate at a faster rate. This therapy is administered in the form of injections, also called PRP injections, and may help the healing process after a traumatic injury, after surgery, or as a treatment for chronic, degenerative conditions like osteoarthritis.
Platelet rich therapy can offer a number of benefits to patients in Tampa, Clearwater, St. Petersburg, and elsewhere in the Tampa Bay area who need joint pain treatment:
- The injected plasma is completely safe because it is derived from the patient’s own blood.
- Periodic injections are far less invasive than surgery and carry fewer risks.
- This non-surgical therapy may preclude the need for surgery when paired with an appropriate physical therapy regimen.
- PRP treatment can help facilitate a much faster healing time after an injury.
- Platelet rich therapy can help reduce inflammation as it facilitates tissue regeneration.
If you are suffering from a sports injury like a meniscus tear or ACL tear and would like to learn more about the benefits of regenerative medicine and platelet rich plasma therapy, contact Tampa Orthopaedic and Sports Medicine Group today. Our Board-certified sports injury doctor, Arnold Ramirez M.D., can evaluate your condition and determine if you are a candidate for the Anthrex ACP system of conditioned PRP injections. Dr. Ramirez and our Board-certified orthopaedic surgeon, Dr. Daniel Murphy, proudly serve patients in Tampa, Brandon, Oldsmar, Lutz, and the surrounding areas.